Product involved: Mucosamin Spray
Oral Mucositis in patients undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplants HSCT
Assess the efficacy of Mucosamin Spray for the treatment of oral mucositis in patients undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCT). Oral Mucositis may occur in up to 100% of patients undergoing condition regimen to HSCT
68 patients were divided in 2 groups:
- Mucosamin group (34 patients): all received a complete session of professional oral health care (POHC) and Mucosamin spray on mucositis lesions 3-4 times a day after a meal
- Control group (34 patients): received only Clorexidine 0.20% on oral mucositis lesions
Mucosamin group after complete session of professional oral hygiene:
- O’Leary Index Placque (Placque Control Record)
- Bleeding Index
- Periodontal Screening and Recording Index (PSR)
Evaluation of gravity of oral mucositis
Evaluation of gravity of oral mucositis between patients treated with Mucosamin who had POHC compared to patients treated only with clorexidine 0.20%
Light Mucositis: WHO grade 1 and 2; Severe Mucositis: WHO grade 3 and 4
• Treated patients with Mucosamin Spray developed less severe mucositis.
• Treated patients with Mucosamin Spray resolved the mucositis in less time.
• Maximum pain, measured with VAS scale, was lower in patients treated with Mucosamin Spray.