Product involved: Mucosamin Mouthwash
Prevention of Oral Mucositis in Patients Undergoing Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplants (HSCT)
Prevention of oral mucositis in patients undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCT)
3 randomised groups:
- GROUP 1 (33 patients): use of Mucosamin Spray in case of onset of oral mucositis on lesions. Professional oral hygiene session and instructed to use Mucosamin® from the first day of admission;
- GROUP 2 (32 patients): professional oral hygiene session and standard treatment with 0.20% Chlorhexidine mouthwash;
- GROUP 3 (34 patients): prescribed 0.20% Chlorhexidine only;
- WHO MUCOSITIS SCALE: 0 = no symptoms; 1 = pain, erythema; 2 = erythema, ulceration but able to eat solids; 3 = ulceration and the need for a liquid diet; 4 = oral feeding not possible
- OMAS Mucositis: (Ulceration 0 = no lesion; 1 = lesion <1 cm2; 2 = lesion from 1 to 3 cm2; 3 = lesion> 3 cm2; Erythema 0 = none; 1 = not severe; 2 = severe)
- PERIODONTAL PLATE: Plaque index.
- PSR bleeding index
- DURATION OF MUCOSITIS IN DAYS
Development of mucositis in the patients of the 3 groups
Evaluation of Oral Mucositis in the 3 groups
Evaluation of Oral Mucositis in the 3 groups (OMAS scale)
Evaluation of healing time of Oral Mucositis in the 3 groups
• Reduction of the onset of oral mucositis.
• Reduction of the severity of oral mucositis.
• The mouthwash in prevention and the spray in treatment are a valuable therapeutic aid for oral mucositis in patients undergoing HSCT.